How Does a Casino Welcome Bonus Work
Gifts that operators lure new members with usually aren’t free. Gamblers are required to fund their account. The amount to qualify is around 10-20 USD. There are also no deposit Welcome offers, but they are much less common.
Unless it’s a special personalized bonus or a cashback, it takes some efforts and money to release credits by turning over the bonus amount, or bonus+deposit, a number of times. The standard acceptable wager is between 30x and 35x. 40x is quite high, but is still acceptable for some players. Anything higher than that doesn’t seem to be appealing.
Certain disadvantages come with the turnover requirements, and seeing cash winnings becoming bonus credits is probably the least pleasant. These funds get stuck and disappear if wagering isn’t completed in time.
- Restricted Games. This is another thing that comes with accepting bonuses. While wagering a bonus, you’ll have to stop yourself from playing certain game categories and even specific games. Progressive jackpot pokies are usually among restricted games, as well as live dealer titles.
- Game Contributions. Casinos have the power of directing you toward playing games they want you to play by assigning different game contributions. Game contribution is the percentage of a bet that counts towards playthrough. For instance, slots usually contribute 100%, while table and card games have either 0% or a maximum of 10-15%. Check bonus T&Cs carefully as certain pokies’ contributions might be lowered.
- Maximum Bet. The typical max bet is 5 USD, but it can be higher or lower. Casinos don’t want players to risk too much money on a single bet because they can land a surprisingly huge win that will make them easily complete the playthrough.
All the rules casinos set are there for a reason and you definitely shouldn’t play around ignoring them. Gambling sites will punish you by forfeiting bonuses and all the wins as a result of the bonus abuse. Some operators won’t let you break wagering rules by using software that limits access to restricted games and doesn’t let you stake more than the max bet amount. But many operators let players break the rules and then punish them.
Types of Casino Sing-Up Bonuses
There is a variety of bonus types you can get as a new member. It’s up to you to decide which one is better. But if it’s hard for you to choose, some operators offer a combination of different promos, and what’s even more exciting is when the welcome package consists of a series of offers.
Before you even upload any funds, there’s a chance of grabbing some free money. No deposit offers are designed for those who just want to try the services before risking their funds. The casino will ask you to join and provide some personal info before releasing bonus funds.
Bonuses are usually withdrawable but only after wagering is complete, and this is where the least appealing aspect of no deposit offers gets revealed. A playthrough can be much higher than usual. We are talking about 50x and it goes all the way up to 100x. So, you should definitely check bonus T&Cs.
This is a common casino registration bonus. The casino will match the money uploaded by the player. For a Welcome promo, 100% is what can be often expected. The maximum amount is typically around $300-$500 and wagering around 30-40x. This option will be available on multiple gambling sites. To make players stick around for longer, casinos usually release not a single bonus, but a whole welcome package.
A series of smaller reload match bonuses usually complement an initial, more generous, offer. Depending on a casino, you are to benefit from a further 2-4 reloads. Typically they are somewhere around 25-75% match offers.
VIP members sometimes get special sign-up bonuses. Generally, players uploading over $1,000 are considered high rollers. They get special offers with an increased maximum bonus amount. The bonus percentage, however, may be smaller than the standard.
Slot fans will be drawn to free spins casino welcome bonuses, which can be issued as no deposit or deposit gifts. As deposit offers, spins typically come along with a match bonus and you can expect any number of them released as a single bonus or spread over a number of days/deposits.
Unlike bonus credits, you can’t pick pokies to use your free spins. This bonus is credited to a specific slot or slots but once wins are collected from those free spins, they can be used to play any other game eligible during the playthrough. The wager is also between 30x and 40x.
Sticky vs. Non-Sticky Sign-Up Bonus
When bonuses are sticky, they are tied to the deposit. This is the common type of promo when players first spend their real funds while wagering bonuses and once the money is gone, bonus credits can be used. Even when real money bets are placed, winnings are credited to the bonus balance.
Non-sticky offers, in contrast, aren’t tied to deposits. Real money will be spent first, but this time all wins will be credited to real money balance with no wagering applied. Once no cash is left, players spend bonus credits and wagering begins.
How to Find the Best Casino Welcome Bonus
Finding your perfect offer is going to be hard if you don’t know what bonus you want. So, think of what criteria it should meet, whether you want a match bonus or free spins, what should be the maximum bonus amount, wagering requirements. Once you make up your mind, the task is as simple as to look through multiple offers and find the right one.
Search for the Best Bonuses
Check out a wide variety of welcome bonuses here on this page. You’ll find promos offered by dozens of licensed gambling operators. If you find something that catches your attention, you can read the details to see if it’s actually the best one for you.
Check Wagering Requirements
This step is very important. Without reading thoroughly playthrough requirements, you shouldn’t accept any bonuses. If you use our site to pick a promo, you can read detailed reviews, including wagering requirements, of all offers we list. It’s not only about the number of times the bonus must be played through but other details such as max bet, restricted games, game contributions, etc.
Apart from the bonus description, there should be a bonus policy that gives more insight into how bonuses are wagered. Find this information, because it will largely affect your choice. For instance, your favorite games might be restricted or particular pokies do not contribute toward playthrough.
Check Which Locations Are Restricted
Some operators focus on a few selected markets and have no interest in attracting players from other regions. That’s why they exclude all but a few countries from receiving welcome bonuses or any other promos. So, you should always check if players from your country are eligible for the offer.
Most of the time, however, there are just a few restrictions, and residents of the majority of countries are eligible. Be aware of the fact that all casinos have a list of restricted countries. If you come from one of them, you won’t be allowed to sign up with the casino and claim promos.
Check Any Withdrawal Restrictions
Some casino registration bonuses are subject to withdrawal restrictions. If after clearing the offer you have more money than the max withdrawable amount, the payment of the maximum allowed sum will be approved and the rest of the money forfeited. It’s common for no deposit sign-up promos, but can be applied to other promos as well. So, keep it in mind and avoid unfavorable withdrawal restrictions as they won’t sometimes let you benefit from nice winnings.
Claiming a Casino Welcome Bonus
After you find a casino with an appealing welcome bonus, the next step is to join it and claim the bonus. This step is usually very simple and intuitive and even if you have zero experience, there shouldn’t be any issues as casinos will guide you throughout the process. Below we’ll discuss the key steps of claiming the bonuses.
- Register at a Casino. Joining a gambling site takes a few minutes and in some cases is as simple as providing your email and creating a password. Usually, players have to provide their name, email, address, phone number, enter the password and select a currency. But an increasing number of operators switch to a simplified sign-up process. They require the basic information and at some point later ask players to provide more personal and financial details.
- Fill in the Appropriate Fields to Receive Bonuses. In some cases claiming the bonus means providing additional information. For instance, if your phone number isn’t required at a sign-up, a casino may ask it to claim a welcome package. There may be other requirements as well. Some operators want players to claim the offer when they register. Those who fail to do so will no longer be eligible for the offer. Or they might be asked to contact live chat or send an email before depositing or before placing their first bet. So, read the bonus description and be aware of some important rules.
- Get Bonuses and Use Them. Collect and using bonuses is the fun part. Credits are usually issued automatically after sign-up is completed and you are free to start spending them right away. Don’t wait for too long as you have a limited number of days to spend the bonus and wager it. Most often the time allowed for wagering is one week. But it can be as short as 24 hours.
Don’t forget about restricted games and max bet limit during the playthrough. You can ask casino support if you’ll be automatically stopped from playing restricted games and exceeding the max bet limit. If there’s no system in place to stop you from breaking these rules, it’s your job to remember them.
Making the Most out of Your Welcome Bonus
Playing pokies is the best choice for clearing casino registration or any other bonus. But what slots should you play? There are hundreds and thousands of them. Unfortunately, there’s no guaranteed method of maximizing the benefit of the bonus credits. Players just need to decide which option is the best for them.
- One of the strategies is to play low volatility slots. These types of pokies will ensure your bankroll lasts longer giving you higher chances of completing wagering requirements.
- Another strategy is to play high volatility titles first and then switch to low volatility slot machines. The switch takes place after landing a considerable win that is then preserved by playing low-volatility titles.
However, casinos always look for ways to minimize the chances of players releasing bonus money. As a result, they restrict certain low volatility and high volatility pokies, and some of them go as far as to ban switching from high to low volatility games or bets. It’s recommended you read carefully bonus terms and conditions to be aware of such rules.
What you definitely don’t want to do is abuse bonus rules. Sometimes you might think that you got away with abusing bonuses only to find out your withdrawals get canceled and bonuses forfeited. So, never break the rules.
There are reasons to both love and hate casino welcome bonuses. One of the key disadvantages of any promo is wagering requirements. Casinos have multiple restrictions in place and some of them don’t take the necessary steps to prevent players from unknowingly breaking the rules. Another drawback is that players need to be lucky to complete wagering and if they aren’t, their real money winnings will be gone because they are credited as bonus funds.
On the other hand, bonuses can significantly extend the gambling time you buy for your deposit. A lot of times sign-up offers double the deposit, which can be a lot of extra funds, and if you manage to clear the bonus, it’s extra real cash you get.