Expanding wilds sometimes come with extra properties such as multipliers. For instance, in Iron Bank by Relax Gaming, one of three bonus games offers expanding wilds with growing multipliers. It’s a high volatility bonus round but can sometimes be extremely rewarding because multipliers grow indefinitely and can award multiple re-spins. These symbols often trigger re-spins.
Types of Expanding Wilds Pokies
For years developers have been releasing expanding wilds video slots of all shapes and forms. There are dozens of choices to anyone’s liking. Except for the classic category, there’s a good chance of finding these special wilds in all slot collections.
- Progressive Jackpots. A few titles offer pooled jackpots that can award life-changing prizes. NetEnt has two progressive jackpot pokies that feature expanding wilds: Hall of Gods and Divine Fortune. The former one is a network jackpot that accumulates contributions from all casinos and drops an average of over 5.6 million EUR. Whereas Divine Fortune is a local jackpot that is tied to a single casino and pays on average a bit over 100,000 EUR. Other famous jackpot networks are Microgaming’s Mega Moolah and Playtech’s Age of the Gods along with a few more titles. Check out our Jackpots collection on this page to see the complete list.
- If you are a fan of Megaways pokies, there are a few titles you can try. For example, Lightning Strike Megaways by Blueprint Gaming or Starz Megaways by Pragmatic. For the complete list of games check out our Megaways collection.
Best Pokies with Expanding Wilds
Among dozens of titles, there are true masterpieces. Most of them have passed the test of time. Many more slots deserve to be mentioned, but here we’ll list the top 5 most popular slots with expanding wilds.
- Starburst is one of the greatest low volatility games. Expanding wilds play a central role in this slot. They land only on reels 3-5 and activate up to 5 re-spins. The slot pays both ways, which is great. There aren’t many features to discuss, but New Zealand players still love it and its low volatility played a major part in the success of the title.
- Iron Bank is a special slot. It was produced in collaboration with the famous casino streaming team, CasinoGrounds. As these guys are experts in what kiwi players enjoy, they must have provided a great insight into what makes the successful slot. Expanding wilds appear in one of three bonus features that can buy or trigger randomly.
- Divine Fortune is another well-known slot. The main attraction is the local pooled jackpot. But apart from that, there are thrilling base and bonus games. Central to both modes are re-spins with wilds that move downwards. When the feature gets activated, there’s a chance to see wilds expand.
- Sakura Fortune is a famous Quickspin game. Wilds in the base mode don’t expand but already come expanded. They appear fully on the reels or partially. Two reels covered entirely by wilds activate re-spins, that’s when wilds start to expand to fill the entire wheel. Wild reels then stick for the remainder of the round.
- Snake Arena is a wonderful Relax slot with a unique expansion method. There’s no static, fixed-shape wilds. Instead a wild snake chases a knight adjusting its shape and expanding by +1 every time it gets to the knight. The round goes on until the snake’s body is in the way. In this case, free spins end. The length of the snake can increase to accommodate the entire four reels and that will award an extra 1,000x bonus on top of free spins winnings.