These are pokies that in addition to paying for a regular spin, offer to pay for feature activation. The price starts at about 50x bet and can go all the way up to 2,000x bet. The more you pay the higher potential you get. Usually, players get a pack of free spins. There can be some extra features such as multipliers, expanding wilds, or other modifiers.
When the feature is bought, the theoretical RTP can be slightly higher compared to when it lands randomly. Many bonus buy video slots give players multiple bonus choices. Depending on the choice made, there will be a different set of features and a different volatility level. Safer options ensure more wins will land, whereas riskier rounds have features that can award some massive payouts.
The author of this ingenious solution is BTG, which has a lot of innovative slot solutions behind its belt. At the time of release, their White Rabbit was a major breakthrough. The slot is still greatly popular and remains a benchmark. Despite many titles flooding the market, this first feature buy variant remains convincing and hasn’t changed much. The feature was further developed and twisted in later releases to offer a more exciting experience.
Bonus Buy Variations
Many developers integrate feature buy into their pokies and add some modifications to this option. The simplest option is when players get just one bonus round. But there are other titles with more choices given to players.
- Multiple bonus rounds players can choose from. As it’s impossible to tailor a bonus round to each player, developers offer two or more options that cater to different player categories. Different bonuses have a different set of features and ensure different volatility levels. For the same price players have a combination of fewer spins and higher multiplier or more spins but lower multiplier.
- Some pokies offer a variety of bonus rounds and each of them has a different price. This difference is explained by higher win potential. For instance, Deadwood by Nolimit City offers two versions of free spins. One that costs 71x bet and the other one – 750x bet. The second round has an extra feature that turns low-paying symbols into wilds on three central reels.
- Bonus round with Gamble feature. There’s a feature buy slots category that offers players to gamble their free spins they bought or landed randomly. In case they win, more spins and/or a higher multiplier are credited. If they lose, they either lose the entire bonus round or downgrade to the lower level. One of the examples is BTG’s Extra Chilli, in which players initially get 8 spins and by gambling, they can increase the amount up to 24. To encourage taking more risk, the studio increases the probability of winning from 50% to 60% after the first successful gamble attempt.
- Bonus Buy token accumulation. This feature is rare and was introduced by BTG in White Rabbit. Instead of charging the full price for free spins, the developer integrated the Feature Drop Symbol, which is a gold coin with the BTG logo on it. When landing on the reels, this symbol decreases the price of the feature. This is a great solution for those who would like to try triggering the bonus game randomly but also consider the possibility of buying them if the attempt is unsuccessful. By the time they are ready to pay for the bonus, the price may go down.
How Much to Pay?
Most of the time buying the feature isn’t that expensive and it usually costs somewhere between 50x and 100x bet. It correlates positively with the win potential. At the time of writing the most expensive bonus round is in Nolimit City’s San Quentin. The slot offers three bonuses that will cost you 100x, 400x, and 2,000x. The latter option is packed with features so that hardly any spin will be a losing one.
To stop pokie fans from spending too much at a time, the studio limited max bet to 4 EUR in case of 2,000x bonus. While 24 EUR and 32 EUR are the limits for 400x and 100x bonus games, correspondingly. The benefit of choosing the most expensive version is that RTP increases from 96.26% to 96.95%.
Those who love feature-packed, expensive bonus games, should check out Nolimit City’s collection of feature buy video slots. This developer loves charging crazy amounts of money but delivers an exciting experience for the money. San Quentin is their record-breaker in terms of bonus price, but there are more titles with expensive bonuses, such as Deadwood, Bushido Ways, Mental and more.
Check out our beautiful selection of feature buy pokies. If you are interested in the best titles of this kind, we have the Most Popular collection that includes the latest releases along with the slots that have passed the test of time. Right here we’ll list some titles that deserve special mention.
- Money Train 2 is one of the greatest hits of all time. Released by Relax Gaming, it offers an extraordinary journey to the steampunk wild west, the mix that is full of surprises. This slot is famous for its thrilling Money Cart bonus round. Players from NZ will be charged 100x bet if they want to skip the base game to find themselves in the middle of the chasing up to 50,000x bet win.
- Nitropolis by ELK Studios is another amazing feature buy video slot. For a price of 100x bet you can buy up to 25 free spins with locked nitro reels and one scatter pay symbol, which is a random symbol that acts as a scatter. The second bonus round costs 300x and offers one guaranteed retrigger, which ensures two scatter pay symbols. Nitropolis is an explosive slot that won’t leave anyone indifferent. The game comes to life during the free spins. Its key element is Nitro Reels that award up to 12 symbols instead of two. As a result, the number of ways to win increases to more than 85 million.
- Dead or Alive 2 was initially released with no bonus buy option and later NetEnt launched an updated version. This is a more conventional type of slot with a 5×3 reel set, 9 lines, and three bonus games. But even without all those extravagant elements and having pretty simple gameplay, Dead or Alive 2 is a superstar in the world of feature buy games.
- Extra Chilli brings a light, positive atmosphere into this otherwise dark-themed collection. It was produced by Big Time Gaming as a sequel to the mega-popular Bonanza. What separates it from the rest of the titles from this list is that after you buy free spins, you can gamble them to win up to 3 times more. It’s a fun slot that sends positive vibes and offers a thrilling experience. Feature Drop costs 50x, but the price goes down with every golden coin you accumulate. It’s a traditional Megaways title with 117,649 win ways, cascading reels, and an unlimited win multiplier during the free spins.
- San Quentin by Nolimit City. It would be wrong not to mention at least one of Nolimit City’s releases. San Quentin sparked some controversy in the gaming community after slot details were published because of its prison theme and certain imagery that some find disturbing. Its 2,000x bet bonus buy option was also widely discussed. Despite the controversy, this slot proved to be very popular among New Zealand players as it offers a great experience not only during free spins but in the base game as well.
Should I Play Bonus Buy Pokies?
The feature has influenced kiwi player behavior and encouraged taking more risks. For some it’s an appealing solution that made gambling much more exciting. But there’s a darker side of this innovation. One of the major issues is that buying bonus games can make kiwis spend so much more than they generally spend on gambling.
Within a short period, they can buy multiple bonus rounds and go broke quite fast. This can worsen the situation with problem gambling. This is the reason some jurisdictions like the UK, have banned this feature. And this probably explains why Big Time Gaming, the author of the first feature buy slot, stopped using this option.
So, should you play these games? As long as you play responsibly, that’s fine. If you can control your behavior and keep gambling within the limits, you will find these types of games a lot of fun, because some of them are amazing online slots. But if you find it hard to control your impulses, it’s better to stay away from them.