What Are Megaways Slots?
It can be described as the evolution of Microgaming’s Ways to Win engine that doesn’t have traditional paylines. Instead, similar symbols just need to land on the adjacent reels. Big Time Gaming took this idea a step further by making the number of symbols on every reel not fixed, but random. The reel height typically varies from 2 to 7 symbols.
Load any Megaways video slot to see the engine in action. The reel setup varies from 5×2 to 5×7 and can be anywhere in between. For instance, reels 1 to 5 can have 2,4,5,7,5 symbols and 7,7,3,5,4 the next spin. As a result, every time the chances of hitting a win are different. When there are between 2 and 7 symbols per reel, there will be between 32 (2x2x2x2x2) and 117,649 (7x7x7x7x7) possible win combinations every single round. The fluid nature of the reels adds another layer of excitement.
This innovation belongs to Big Time Gaming (BTG). The studio first introduced it in the Dragon Born video slot, but it wasn’t until the launch of Bonanza that the engine became a worldwide phenomenon. The Australian-based studio is now part of Evolution. After the creative powers of the two companies merge, there’s a possibility that together they find new avenues for further Megaways developments, as the slot engine is to stay relevant for many more years.
How Megaways Is Used
BTG didn’t keep this innovative slot mechanics just for itself. The studio has licensed it to many other slot suppliers, including some of the biggest. That contributed to the extensive catalog that is growing almost every day. Most studios that acquire the license offer players what they expect from Megaways slots. While a few talented companies introduce their unique twists and present their unique take on the feature.
Meagaways is a popular method for giving the greatest hits another boost. All big studios that acquired the license have Megaways versions of their top-performing slots. NetEnt’s Divine Fortune, Gonzo’s Quest, Fruit Shop, and Piggy Riches; Quickspin’s Big Bad Wolf are just a few examples to name.
Megaways + Bonus Buy
As the feature buy option is trending, you’ll find plenty of Megaways video slots offering a paid entry into the most exciting part of the game. The cost usually varies between 50x and 100x your bet but in some cases can reach up to 2,000x. Choose the Bonus Buy tab above the list of titles on this page to view only those that feature this option.
In some slots, the reels stay expanded to their maximum height during free spins. This increases the chances of hitting wins. Another version of the expansion is also available. In White Rabbit, for instance, reels can extend up to 12 symbols high during the bonus feature. Progressive multipliers are also common in the Megaways slots.
Megaways + Cascading Reels
Many titles that feature this engine also feature cascading reels. Madame Destiny is one of the examples. It removes winning symbols to potentially result in more payouts. This feature is active during both the base and bonus modes. To add more thrill to the cascades, studios often pair them with progressive multipliers.
Best Megaways Slots
It’s hard to name a few best out of so many titles, but there are epic titles that can’t be overestimated. Early releases are in particular valuable as they’ve introduced this amazing innovative idea to players. Big Time Gaming is the major innovator in the Megaways slots area. Over time, the studio kept adding more features to spice up already exciting gameplay. Some of the most iconic titles by this provider are:
- White Rabbit is an extraordinary title that takes players on a journey to Wonderland. The studio has brilliantly integrated a famous storyline into exciting game features. You’ll see all familiar Wonderland characters and revisit the most thrilling twists of the story. The slot features Extending Reels during the bonus rounds where the maximum reel height increases from 7 to 12 symbols. The entry to the free spins costs 100x your bet. Feature Drop is another amazing option allowing players to buy bonuses cheaper as they collect BTG golden coins.
- Bonanza is another epic Megaways slot machine that finds a lot of success in the international gambling community. It features an extra 4 symbol reel that is placed vertically above the main reel set. This extra reel gives more chances of hitting a win. Helping players win is another feature, Reactions that make combination explode after paying out and let other symbols drop into their places to possibly land more payouts. Unlimited win multiplier during free games is another thing that players look forward to.
- Extra Chilli added a new twist to the Megaways series, which is Free Spins Gamble. Once you buy a bonus round or trigger it randomly, the game offers to gamble spins for a better deal. Initially, the chances are 50/50, but as you win the first time, the chances of winning the next round increase to 60%.
- Holy Diver is another milestone. It introduces a new exciting element that contributes to a more dynamic environment and keeps players on the edge of their sits every spin. Instead of a vertical reel at the top or bottom of the reel set, it has what is called Reel Adventure. It’s a fun mini-game that activates modifiers awarding extra wilds. It can also reveal gems that are collected to level up or activate free spins. Delaying the activation of the bonus round isn’t a bad decision as players get x2 and x3 Wilds when they upgrade to levels 2 and 3, respectively.
Best Megaways Slots by Other Studios
BTG isn’t the only Megaways wizard. A few hundred titles feature this engine and sure enough other studios introduced some amazing games. Many of them are Megaways versions of the studios’ greatest hits. There is usually at least one Megaways title making it to the list of Top Slots of the Year. According to the actual data provided by multiple casinos, a few titles featuring the mechanics were among Top 2020 and Top 2021 Most Played Slots.
- Piggy Riches Megaways. NetEnt entrusted one of its long-time favorites into the hands of its family member, Red Tiger Gaming. It turned out to be a great success as players enjoyed a fresh take on the lavish piggy lifestyle they loved in the original. It features up to 117,649 ways to win, cascading reels, Mega Wilds with multipliers, and up to 22 free spins, plus x10 multiplier.
- The Dog House Megaways by Pragmatic Play is another remastered hit. The visuals are bright and cute and the gameplay is fun and exciting. There are two types of free spins, one with Sticky Wilds and the other with Raining Wilds, players can choose once they trigger the feature randomly or buy it for x100 their bet. The original still gets a lot of attention internationally and often appears at the top of the slot ratings alongside its Megaways version.
- Gonzo’s Quest Megaways is another proof that iconic slots can be revived thanks to the magical power of this slot engine. The slot has two key features: Free Spins with growing multipliers and the Earthquake that shakes the reels to remove low-paying symbols. And of course, there’s an Avalanche/Cascading Reels /Reactions feature as the original Gonzo’s Quest was the first to introduce it.